Sunday, February 28, 2010

good for the soul... romans 3

today our pastor spoke on one of my favorite passages in the bible. sometimes i wonder if it is ok that i like this passage so much, because after reading it, it can leave you pretty much hopeless. but that is also the reason i love it… paul does not pull any punches, he is just straight up. and that is what i like and need: the straight up truth. 
romans 3:10-18:

"none is righteous, no, not one;
no one understands;
no one seeks for God.
all have turned aside; together they have become worthless;
no one does good,
not even one."
"their throat is an open grave;
they use their tongues to deceive."
"the venom of asps is under their lips."
"their mouth is full of curses and bitterness."
"their feet are swift to shed blood;
in their paths are ruin and misery,
and the way of peace they have not known."
"there is no fear of God before their eyes."

there are many reasons i love this passage… it points out our hopelessness before a perfect and holy God, it cuts to the heart and exposes us, and leaves us naked before the One to be feared (while pointing out that we don’t fear Him). all very humbling, very good, leaving me in need of jesus.

but today God used it to point out afresh some sin in my life. you see, i have a coworker that is very, very hard to love. she claims to be a Christian, but is one of the meanest people i have ever met, and contradicts me on nearly everything that i say. therefore, i don’t really try to be involved in her life, i more just endure the time that i have to spend with her.

during the sermon today, God reminded me of how mean i used to be in high school. i would talk about my friends behind their backs, gossip and make fun of people. i wasn’t searching for God (romans 3:11) and i did not fear the fact that i was breaking His law (3:18), my speech was like venom (3:13) and my mouth was full of abhorrence (3:14).

BUT GOD… changed me. i did not seek it out, He just did it by his grace.  there was nothing i could do to earn it, i didn't even want it until He gave it to me.  he just did it because of His awesome kindness, and loved me when i didn't love Him.

therefore, i want to also show that same grace to my co-worker.

pray for me. i cannot love her without the help of the holy spirit. pray also that i might have the opportunity to go deeper with her about spiritual matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment