Friday, April 2, 2010

a great prayer to meditate on for good friday

Valley of Vision: A collection of Puritan Prayers & Devotionsan exerpt from "love lustres at calvary" from valley of vision:


my father,
enlarge my heart, warm my affections, open my lips,
     supply words that proclaim 'love lustres at calvary.'
there grace removes my burdens and heaps them on thy Son,
     made a transgressor, a curse, a sin for me;
there the sword of thy justice smote the man, thy fellow;
there thy infinite attributes were magnified,
 and infinite atonement was made;
there infinite punishment was due,
     and infinite punishment endured.
Christ was all anguish that i might have joy,
     cast off that i might be brought in,
     trodden down as an enemy that i might be welcomed as a friend,
     surrendered to hell's worst that i might attain heaven's best,
     stripped that i might be clothed,
     wounded that i might be healed,
     athirst that i might drink,
     tormented that i might be comforted,
     made a shame that i might inherit glory,
     entered darkness that i might have eternal light.
My Savior wept that all tears might be wiped from my eyes,
    groaned that i might have endless song,
    endured all pain that i might have unfading health,
     bore a thorned crown that i might have a glory-diadem,
     bowed his head that i might uplift mine,
     experienced reproach that i might receive welcome,
     closed his eyes in death that i might gaze on unclouded brightness,
     expired that i might live forever.


praise Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment