Monday, September 9, 2013

Hot Days, Cold Drinks: Nutritional Boosters

We hope you enjoyed the "Hot Days, Cold Drinks" recipe series.  To wrap up, I want to give a few suggestions for nutritional boosters to add to your drinks.  I am always looking for ways to get more nutrients into our diet, and adding them to blended drinks is often pretty easy.
'Ice cold drinks by the beach' photo (c) 2011, Ivan Bandura - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Bentonite Clay - Clay is good for digestions, had lots of minerals, and draws out and removes heavy metals and toxins from the body.  Bentonite clay can be added to any drink that has a milk/yogurt base because it has a neutral, slightly creamy flavor.  I usually add about a teaspoon to smoothies, iced coffee and chocolate banana shakes.

Spirulina powder - I order this in bulk and add it to our food whenever I can.  Spirulina is an algae that is really high in protein, phytonutrients, betacarotenes and many other nutrients.  The taste is hard to describe, its not a strong flavor but also not pleasant (by itself).  I usually only add a half or whole teaspoon per serving, so that it is barely noticeable.  This mixes well into green tea shakes and fruit smoothies.

Flaxseed meal - Flaxseed meal is high in omega-3's and lignans, and has been linked to many health benefits. It has a nutty flavor and a texture (once its in a drink) similar to peanut butter.  I order whole flaxseeds and grind them in small batches in my blender, which helps assure they are fresh and not rancid.  I find that flaxseed meal goes well in vanilla peanut butter banana shakes and (like everything above) smoothies (smoothies are just so easy to hide things in!).  I add one or two tablespoons per serving.

Did you miss anything in the series?  Here are all the recipes we covered:

Chocolate Banana Shake - thick and chocolately
Green Tea Smoothie - creamy and energizing
Mocha Avocado Shake - my favorite pick-me-up
Hazelnut Iced Latte - slightly bitter but balanced
Vanilla Peanut Butter Banana Shake - smooth and rich
Homemade Lemonade - tart and refreshing
Coconut Iced Chai Latte - sweet n' spicy
Sun Tea - brisk and easy
Green Peach Smoothie - nutritious and fruity

Did you try any of these recipes? What did you like, and what would you change? Share your experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment